Friday, September 9, 2022

Tutorial: Easy blind curtains

I love to accessorize!  I think every miniaturist enjoys the decorating part of any new scene - I certainly enjoy it more than the building process, even though I do enjoy putting up wallpapers!

Since I have tiny windows in the beach hut, I wanted to craft some miniature curtains - blind curtains, in fact, that don't require any complex work with fabrics, for which I am totally useless.

This was my first time crafting blind curtains, so here is what I came up with.  I think it is a very easy process, even for newbies to the hobby.

Materials required:

  1. Your choice of fabric - I used a printable nautical fabric from Véronique
  2. Scissors / cutter
  3. Pencil
  4. Double sided tape
  5. Ruler 
  6. Fine sand paper
  7. Toothpics, or skewers - depending on how wide are your windows

1- Measure the width of your windows to determine the size of the rod you will be using.

2- Take your toothpick or skewer and mark this measure.

 

3- Cut to measure your toothpick/skewer using the cutter or an old pair of scissors


4- Sand the edges of the toothpick/skewer


5- Cut a strip of your fabric the width of your rod.  If you used printable fabric like I did, remove the paper backing.


6- Cover part of the strip with double sided tape.


7- Remove the coverings and place the rod at the beginning of the strip.  Make sure it is properly centered and straight.


8- Start rolling the fabric carefully, to make sure there are no wrinkles and that you keep the rod as straight as possible.  When you reach the end of the double sided tape, you are finished!  Trim any excess of fabric if necessary.


Congratulations!  You made your curtain!  

I have 4 windows, but for now I made just two curtains to try the technique.  Now that I have seen it works, more will follow!

Now get creative with decorations for the fabric: lace, trims, ribbons... Anything that you like!  Since this are for a nautical beach hut, I am leaving them as they are.  Have fun!

No comments: