Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Working on a new scene: Japanese Roombox. Day 1

It's almost 2 years since I bought a roombox, hoping to do a Japanese scene on it.  I decided it was a perfect moment to start, taking advantage of my Easter holidays.  So yesterday I started the work, and this is what I accomplished on day 1.

Firstly, I took out all the components, and did a dry fit to ensure correct placement of the parts:


I was pleasantly surprised to see it had fitted corners, like puzzles pieces

They all fit perfectly!

 Since I know better now, instead of gluing together the walls and floor, I decided to wallpaper and put the floor before any other work.  So I spread out all the walls as to not make mistakes, and started by printing a beautiful tatami floor, work of the talented Ana Circea:

Starting with the center piece: the floor

Pieces fit together like a puzzle

Just the little upper corner missing...

Done!  Then trimmed to size

Looking good!!

First piece done, 3 to go!  Next one, the left wall.  For this, I covered the entire wall with white cardboard, and then placed a sliding door in the center - also from Ana's shop:

Simple white cardboard - it is a bit texturized, but you cannot see that in the picture

Sliding door, and some molding to decorate

Perfect!

Trying both parts together for effect.  Love it!

I still needed to add some beams for decoration, but the natural light was getting low, so I stopped the work right here.  

More pics tomorrow of the progress!

No comments: