Sunday, March 22, 2020

More wallpapers: this time, the bedroom

It was no surprise that Kassandra was so excited to work in the bedroom; the papers she chose are... Well, let's say different of what you would normally expect in a modern house.  But of course, she would say very vehemently that she is not "modern", even though she acknowledges that modern inventions are fun and convenient...

When we started rolling down the wallpapers, I was surprised to find a stone texture: 


"Are you sure you want to use this for a bedroom?  I don't know, a bedroom is usually a place to unwind, and it has to feel cozy and inviting."
"But, my dear, those papers are precisely that!  You'll see when we finish putting up the first one..."
"If you say so... But it's too long, we have to cut it to fit the adyacent corner."

And said and done, we glued it up to the back wall:


And the cut piece, to the left corner:


"Are you sure about this?  I still don't know..."
"Absolutely sure!  Oh, it is going to be perfect! Let's do the next wall"  


"Oh, I cannot wait to see it finished.  And you'll see when you see the ceiling piece!"
"The ceiling piece!?"
"Let's do the last wall first!"
"It is a very long wall.  We need to put together two sheets."



"Look at this!  Have you seen anything of this beauty in your so called "modern world"?"
"Uh... I would say, it is very pretty, but Kassandra, isn't it a bit way over the top?"
"My dear, you know I love you, but sometimes you do not get me at all.  Come on, let us put the final piece in its place, and then you tell me I am wrong."

And so, we put the ceiling piece in its place.  And I must say, I was not prepared for the overall effect of the room:




"Isn't it marvelous?"
"But, Kassandra... This looks like a crypt to me..."
"You humans and crypts!  My dear, this could have been anything!  A library; a study in a castle; an old university or center of learning; an abbey... Look at that ceiling!  Ana was so nice as to custom make it for me.  She is the best. Don't you know that your University of Salamanca has a roof that looks very much like this one?  She mentioned that she took the texture from the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, though.  Although I admit, it could have been a crypt too.  Not that I mind.  What's wrong with a crypt, anyway?  I have slept in crypts more than once, you know... They are the most peaceful place to sleep in.  And you are never alone!"

And then she laughed.  Sometimes I forget she is a very old vampire, and a shiver run down my spine.

"No, really. I was thinking more of "The Phantom of the Opera".  Erik would have liked the setup."
"And now you are going to tell me you will put a coffin, or a tomb, to sleep in?"
"Don't be silly.  Why would I willingly put a coffin to sleep in? I would rather have a nice bed.  Besides, what if I have guests?"
Guests... Oh, my!
"We still have the floor to put".
"I know.  Do not think I am not torn about it.  I do not know if we should go with stone, or with wood.  I have to think about it some more".

No comments: