Friday, March 6, 2020

Creating a new floor

Since Kassandra is so excited with her new house, I started doing the renovations she wanted so badly.  There has been a lot of work done, but it is so much here and there I'll start with the only thing I have already finished.

I began the work to install the new floor - a kind of attic - that, in my opnion, the house needed; the ceiling was too high for the second floor, and there was too much empty space.  So since this the first time I was altering the blueprints of a dollhouse, I opted for something simple.  I purchased some embellished cornices that would be the support for the attic's floor.  I measured the sizes, and my coworker Carlos used a professional lathe to cut them for me - better than sawing by hand!


Trying some colors in a spare piece
It was untreated wood, so I painted them with a dark brown acrylic color, let them dry, and sprayed them with matte varnish.  Then I glued them to their final places:

I wanted to keep the windows to let the light enter the attic



The base for the attic's floor was set!  The complicated part started.  I asked Carlos again for help to trim a sheet of wood, which he did easily and beautifully.  I tried them, and after some sanding they were perfect!




I glued them down, and the attic is now a reality!

Kassandra was so pleased that she was quick in reclaiming the space as hers:

The ballet studio starts to look like one: a tutu dress, a record player and two speakers...
"But Kassandra, I still have not finished. I have yet to install the flooring and the wallpapers..."

"Oh, I know, but these couple of things will not bother you.  If they do, just move them while you are working, and then put them back.  I do not mind."

"Whatever you wish, as always."

No comments: