Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Scene: Absinthe cellar

I love making scenes!  You can fill up a random room with any idea, and you don't need to spend a lot of time or a lot of money to make it, since scenes are usually much smaller than a room in a dollhouse; you can put them anywhere (book nooks), or you can gift them to people, since sometimes you can house them in a regular decoration object (like a lantern).

I have seen many scenes inside roomboxes, and I always wanted to make my own.  Unfortunately, I cannot find deep roomboxes in my country, so I searched for an alternative.  I found it in the shape of a coin bank, and housed it there (same coin bank as the nursery scene I did for my coworker) - actually, I made this one first, but I just realized I never posted about it.

The idea was to make a cellar (of which I have also seen many), but I wanted to make a cellar dedicated to absinthe, instead of wine.  My coin bank did not have much space, so finally I came up with this:



You can see on the table a lot of things:  the absinthe fountain is the same model I used to sell in my Etsy shop (and my own design!), of which I am very proud of, filled up with water and ice cubes;  the goblet is a little out of scale, but I bought it because it has a reservoir bubble like a Pontarlier glass, to measure the absinthe you serve; the bottle is a Clandestine, a Swiss blanche that I very much enjoy; in front of them, an empty sugar dish, mimicking the old French ones, an absinthe spoon, work of Nalladris, and a regular bottle opener.  Under the table, two books that any absintheur should have: The Absinthe Encyclopedia and the Absinthe Antiques, by Scott MacDonald.

On the floor you can see a collection of absinthe bottles (some I have tried, others I have not); an absinthe crate, with the label from the makers Deniset; over it, a set of antique postcards with absinthe imagery; and finally, a barrel (empty of course, but let's pretend is absinthe in the process of aging) holding a magazine called Imbibe, with the cover dedicated to absinthe.  The little carpet covers the coin slot. 

 

And naturally, a picture of the famous painting made by Pernod Fills as publicity, and that they gifted to cafés so they would advertise their brand:


I currently have this scene hanging in my absinthe corner, underneath a vintage add of Gempp-Pernod:

I am currently working on another scene, that is almost finished - an apothecary!  More info on that coming soon!

No comments: