Saturday, November 14, 2020

New piece for the museum

I had been wating for ever to finish this project, but today was the day.  

I bought a file cabinet from Beautifully Handmade to transform into something very different:


I wanted something to display in the museum that gave the illusion of organized artifacts.  I have a thing for antique documents, and since it is so difficult to display books on a small roombox already filled up, I opted for a file cabinet with folders.  They can be extracted, opened, and the maps removed from them for study:








All the maps are previous to the 19th century (some are from the 17th century!).  The folders are made with cardboard and texturized paper (brown snake skin).  The inside covers and the maps are prints on regular paper.  To top everything up, there is a little bookend with a rotating globe on top of the cabinet - I am currently waiting on one with better looks.

It took me several months to start this project, but once on it, it took me about a week to finish it.  I am very happy with the final result, and it looks fantastic on the museum:



No comments: