Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Dollhouse greenies finished!

Remember that Echeveria plant kit that I told you about?  Well, since I did not have any garden pots, I tried to make my own out of balsa wood.  It was a disaster.  Then I tried to find some online that I could use, but the measurements were no good for my windowsills.  I was at a loss as to what to do, because I did not want to put the Echeverias in normal flower pots - I thought they were too tall for a plant so small.

But then, I saw someone using kitchen bowls as terrariums for succulents plants.  They were lovely!  I had in my craft box some unused bowls, and I decided to try a similar look.  I made four Echeveria plants, and started to work in the bowls.  Since my windowsills were white, I decided to paint them a terracota color, provided by hubby, from the Vallejo brand, named Orange Brown.  I was very happy with the results.  They really looked as if they were made of terracota!  I filled them up with plastic putty, also from Vallejo, to make them appear to be filled with soil, and left them to dry overnight.  Then painted the putty with brown acrylic paint, extended a layer of glue over it and poured the soil.  Then I was finally able to "pot" the Echeverias.  I love how they turned out!



 I have to find me some flower pots before buying another kit from The Miniature Garden.  I have my eye on some really pretty begonias...

No comments: