Thursday, February 14, 2013

Long live Steampunk!

Little could I suspect that I would fall for the Steampunk craze... I am not tech-savvy, and machines do not particularly interest me.  But I love the aesthetic, and since it is Victorian-inspired I guess it was just a matter of time.

In any case, my friend Esther is to blame for the ignition spark.  Last month was my birthday, and she said she had "an absolutely useless gift" for me.  Imagine my surprise when she gave me a beautiful pocket compass.  The exterior is aged brass, the compass is hidden under a bronze rib cage lid that can be opened and closed, and it hangs from a matching bronze chain.  Just gorgeous!  She was lying though: a compass is something very, very useful.

Thinking about what could I pair it with, I remembered I had seen a lovely Steampunk corset that had a little pocket to store a pocket watch in the Corsets UK website.  So I decided to purchase my first Steampunk ensemble.

Here are the links to the corset and the skirt I bought.

And here is my pic, wearing the ensemble (my mom took it):

The skirt was a bit wrinkled; this was taken a few minutes after unwrapping the clothes
A review of the corset and the skirt will be up in a few days.

No comments: