Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Working for my mom

Every time my mother says "Could you make something for me?" I get excited. It gives me much satisfaction when she puts in her scenes something hand-crafted by me; specially because, being honest, many of my minis are far from perfect. The fact that my dollhouse has not a popular theme adds to the trouble, since I can not practice with "everyday" objects. Now that I am going to begin Mrs. Lovett Pie Shop I hope I can have the opportunity to craft more usual accessories. By the way, the room box arrived yesterday! I hope I can begin with it on the weekend...

Coming back to my mother's request, these are the last minis I have made for her - sorry, the pic is not very good:

I had just bought for her a gramophone for her parlor, and she was quick to ask for some records to put near it. They are just printables, and very easy to make. I used Jim's page as a template, but I designed my own covers - classical music instead of modern pop music.

The calendar was a freebie that I got with a purchase, and since I did not have a place for it, she asked for it. But she wanted a different pic and asked for this one, called "Kissing on VJ". She saw the statue of San Diego's harbor, and simply loved it.

The pillow is a replica in miniature of one that I have for sale in my shop; she has a dress form with a wedding dress near a bay window and wanted the pillow to place next to it. It was challenging to sew the mini-pillow because the fabric is baroque satin, and as you can see, it doesn't look too good. But I am fortunate that she doesn't care :)

This is her dollhouse; as you can see, the shoes are out of scale, but she doesn't mind. The room is supposed to be the home-shop of a seamstress; hence the mannequin.

This is the inside of the room. I have made for her many of the objects here: The contents of the grocery basket - which, by the way, you can buy here -; the knitting basket of the floor, behind the stove; a blue velvet pillow on the armchair; the appointment book and the inkwell of the table; and some of the contents of the cabinet - some you can see, some you can't - two button jars, some other books, and a sewing basket. I also re-sized for her the fashion posters of the wall.
She made the standing dress and the capelet that hangs in the ironing board, and she filled up the cabinet with different fabrics and trims.

Hope you have enjoyed this peeking into her dollhouse :)

No comments: