Sunday, February 14, 2010

Phase 1: Building up the shadow box

I have been so excited this week, and I just couldn't wait for the weekend to arrive to begin the work on the shadow box. I'm afraid I was so anxious that I did not take pictures before beginning the work :)
I asked dear hubby for help for the construction part, since it was my first time assembling and I didn't want to mess it up. After all, four hands are better than two... He was busy with some lab work, so I began the fun by staining the furniture that I bought last week:

A hutch, a working table and a buffet table. They were just unfinished - as the bottom part of the drawers shows. I used the same stain for all of them, but I applied it differently to achieve different shades of color. I wanted the table to be somehow "washed out" because of the use. After all, it has to be cleaned every time pies are made. So the top surface is lighter than the rest. The buffet table is the one that is stained most dark. It's going to be used to display the different pies offered for sale. The hutch will display some kitchen stuff - plates, jugs, bottles...

This is a pic of the floor and the ceiling being attached. The glue that I bought worked very well, and was not messy at all. After four hours of drying, we attached both sides and left everything to dry overnight. Sorry, no pic of that. It was almost 11.30 pm and I forgot to take one...

This morning I attached the frames, as well as the one that goes on top of the glass. I was so impatient to try the furniture inside the room that I did it while the frames were drying!

And I gathered up some minis that I had around and filled a bit the hutch:

And the last pic, finally, with the glass in place:

Yay! It has been a most productive weekend! I can't wait to begin to craft stuff to fill up the furniture. I think I'll spend the afternoon making pots, maybe the first pie...

2 comments:

Susanne said...

It´s looking great, Kassandra! I´m looking forward to whatch the next mooves..

Debbie said...

Kassandra you've managed to get a lot done over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing what else you make.